A WORD TO READERS:

This Blog is intended to educate as many as possible. Our story is unique as is each story of a special needs child.

Thank you!











Lisa












Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Almost 3 weeks later

Well folks, almost 3 weeks later and Ethan can now undress himself (top to bottom) all by himself! He considers it a cool trick and a step towards independance. While at times I find him unclothed at inappropriate times, I'm considering it a blessing in disguise and know that those cells are doing neat things.
Needless to say I'm feeling a tad bit down and out today. Ethan incurred a slight strain injury to his foot/achilles tendon this past week however the doctor assured us it would be fine and to take it easy on that foot. We continue to watch it.
We are now also considering orthopedic surgery sooner vs. later. Ethan's muscles have contracted so much the last few months that he cannot use his walker and will need his chair. To stretch his legs has proven to be extremely painful and to get his AFO's (braces) on has also proven to be a challenge due to his short muscles. We will be visiting with our dr from Minneapolis (Gillette Children's Hospital) this next week to see what our possibilities are.
Again however this will mean more time off from work and away from the family as it will require 1-2 trips for evalulation and scheduling. While the surgery itself would mean only 7-10 days away from home, it still makes me grimace.
Ethan has come so far and has achieved so much, its hard to see him regress in this way. While our prayers have already been answered due to a successful treatment, we hope our next miracle will be seen through the continued orthopedic surgery/treatment.

Your prayers and support are much appreciated. Until next week...

2 comments:

  1. It will all work out just fine. The surgery will help him get the legs straight, the muscles in line, and the stem cells can continue to work:) Love you and praying always for you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    My name is Rebecca Kjelland. I'm from Edinburg, ND. I know you have been busy with your son, but I was wondering if you had or got an email from me. I just had some questions about your trip to germany. My email is go_god@hotmail.com
    I would love to ask some more questions about ethan. I will be praying for you also and for ethan. We just got back from the cities for check-ups and it's very tiring. I pray that the Lord gives you strenght and rest!
    In His Grip,
    Rebecca Kjelland

    ReplyDelete